Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cast Iron: Restoring The Past

I named this page for three of my passions in life.  I love finding and restoring old cast iron to use, using that which has been passed down, and sharing my love of traditional cooking.  I love traditions, passed down, written down or otherwise.  I love my family.  They are all irrevocably entwined. My summer project has been identified. I was so very surprised at how long cast iron can survive the elements. Not unscathed mind you, but I'm hoping with a lot of elbow grease and TLC I can bring her back. BIG BERTHA came home to rest on my deck for the moment. She spent many, many, years and incarnations as I was growing up. A couple of love chips are missing from one edge, and one leg is missing the tip portion. I haven't seen one with this particular style of handle... on the side.... (hmmm or hoop or whatever the loops are called for the bail) Soooo LOTS of scale and rust inside... Not sure the exact age, or how one would figure that out, as I can't see any visible markings on the kettle. I know that she has been on our ranch since the 1950's.... not sure if she was there when my folks bought the place, but mama always called it "my rendering pot". So, using the handy google search, BIG BERTHA looks much like others of her kind. 22 1/2 inches across, 12 inches deep and approximately 12 gallons or so.  Stay tuned as I work away and try to bring her back to glory. 



No comments:

Post a Comment